Thursday, 03 Apr, 2025

International

Malaysia braces for major protests against PM

International Desk |
Update: 2015-08-28 22:34:00
Malaysia braces for major protests against PM Photo courtesy: bbc.com

DHAKA: Thousands of Malaysians are set to protest in the capital Kuala Lumpur and elsewhere, calling for Prime Minister Najib Razak to step down over a financial scandal.

He has faced public anger over a $700m (£455m) payment made to his bank account from unnamed foreign donors.

It was discovered last month during a probe into alleged mismanagement at the debt-laden state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

Najib Razak has denied any wrongdoing.

Why Malaysians are disillusioned with Najib Razak

Saturday's rally is expected to continue into Sunday and the pro-democracy group Bersih has also called for protests in the cities of Kota Kinabalu and Kuching on the Malaysian side of Borneo.

Kuala Lumpur authorities have rejected the group's application for a permit to protest.

Security is tight and eyes will be focused on any possible army intervention.

At the last big rally in 2012, police used water cannon and tear gas to disperse protesters.

Rehearsals will take place this weekend for the former British colony's 58th anniversary of self-rule.

Najib Razak said in a statement on his blog he did not want a "provocation" to be triggered.

He said: "Whatever the disagreements or misunderstandings between us, national day should not be a stage of political disputes."

BDST: 0835 HRS, AUG 29, 2015
RS

All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.