Saturday, 05 Apr, 2025

International

Assad rejects Syria transition deadline

International Desk |
Update: 2015-11-19 08:41:00
Assad rejects Syria transition deadline Photo Courtesy: cbsistatic.com

DHAKA: Syria President Bashar al-Assad has said a political process to end the country’s bloody civil war cannot begin while it is occupied by ‘terrorists’.

Assad told Italian state television the timetable for elections ‘starts after starting to defeat terrorism’, reports the BBC.

It is unclear whether he was referring only to Islamic State (IS) militants or also to Western-backed rebels.

Last week, 19 countries - including Assad’s allies - set a deadline of 1 January for the start of peace talks.

They signed a UN statement that calls for a ceasefire to be agreed by 14 May 2016 and for free elections to be held a year later.

Neither the Syrian government nor opposition were invited to take part in the event in Vienna so that the countries could present a unified message.

In an interview with Rai TV broadcast on Wednesday night, the Syrian president stressed that no deadline for the start of a political transition could be set while parts of the country were not controlled by his government.

‘This timetable starts after starting defeating terrorism. You cannot achieve anything politically while you have the terrorists taking over many areas in Syria,’ he said.

‘If we talk after that, one year and a half to two years is enough for any transition.’

BDST: 1930 HRS, Nov 19, 2015
RR

All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.