Thursday, 03 Apr, 2025

International

300 Shia Muslims found in Nigeria mass graves

International Desk |
Update: 2015-12-23 08:25:00
300 Shia Muslims found in Nigeria mass graves Photo Courtesy: BBC

DHAKA: Nigeria’s military killed and quickly buried the bodies of at least 300 Shia Muslims in an unjustified attack in the northern Zaria city.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) has said, reports the BBC.

The bodies were buried without family members’ permission, it added.

The army denies killing hundreds of people but has not given any casualty figures.

The killings earlier this month sparked outrage among Shia around the world and Iran called for their protection.

HRW said Nigeria’s army version of events ‘does not stack up’ and called for an independent judicial investigation into what happened.

The Shia Muslims have rejected a committee set up by the government to look into the incident, saying it would be biased.

‘At best it was a brutal overreaction and at worst it was a planned attack on the minority Shia group,’ HRW Africa direction Daniel Bekele said.

BDST: 1923 HRS, DEC 23, 2015
RR

All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.