Friday, 29 Aug, 2025

National

Life support yet after death!

Banglanews Team |
Update: 2014-10-23 13:55:00
Life support yet after death!

DHAKA: The life support of war crimes convict Ghulam Azam has not been removed yet though his family wants it to be taken off.

Earlier, the former Jamaat-e-Islami chief’s personal manager Abul Kalam Azad told banglanews Thursday night that Ghulam Azam passed away around 10:15pm at city’s Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU).

BSMMU doctors, however, said that Ghulam Azam’s life support will be removed after maintaining formalities of the hospital.

Nevertheless, senior superintendent of Dhaka central jail Forman Ali said “as life support of Ghulam Azam has not been removed yet, we are not declaring him dead.”

Earlier, Ghulam Azam was kept on life support at BSMMU.

On July 15 last year, International Crimes Tribunal-1 sentenced Ghulam Azam to 90 years in prison for masterminding crimes against humanity, genocide and other offences during liberation war.

On January 11, 2012, he was arrested in the war crimes case, after the tribunal took charges against him into cognizance.

Later on January 5, 2012, the prosecution brought 62 specific charges against the former Jamaat chief.

On May 13, 2012, the tribunal indicted him on five charges of crimes against humanity for murdering and torturing of unarmed people, planning, incitement and complicity to commit genocide in 1971.

BDST: 1154 HRS, OCT 23, 2014

All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.