Wednesday, 06 Jul, 2022

Sports

German surrenders to Spanish court after World Cup murders

Sports Desk |
Update: 2010-07-06 21:00:57

PALMA DE MAJORCA: A German man suspected of shooting two Italians in a pub in Hanover after a row about the World Cup has surrendered to authorities on the Spanish island of Majorca, police said Wednesday.

A police spokeswoman said the man, a 42-year-old identified only as Holger B., had given himself up on Tuesday at a court in Palma and had been remanded in custody by a magistrate.

An argument in a bar early on Monday, apparently about the performances of Italy and Germany in past football World Cups, turned deadly when B. left the pub, returned a short time later with a 9mm pistol and shot the two Italians in the head, according to German police.

Both the victims, aged 47 and 49, died later.

Majorca is a favourite spot for Germans, with nearly four million visiting the Mediterranean island annually and tens of thousands living there permanently.

The atmosphere was expected to be febrile later Wednesday with Spain playing Germany in the World Cup semi-finals. Italy, one of the favourites after winning the 2006 World Cup, crashed out in the group stages after a humiliating loss to Slovakia.

However, historically, Italy has won the World Cup more times than Germany, with four victories (1934, 1938, 1982, 2006) compared to three (1954, 1974, 1990).

BDST: 1818hrs, July 7, 2010

All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.